Monday 7 May 2012

Elgin to Inverness


Elgin in a really nice town and I am so glad I included it on my itinerary. There are the ruins of Elgin Cathedral where you can climb up into the two remaining towers. The Cathedral dates back to the 13th century and the Chapter House is still used for services and meetings and the ceiling is incredible.

However opposite the Cathedral you find the “Biblical Gardens”. I wondered why they were called that and apparently there are 110 plants mentioned in the Bible and I understand that all 110 plants are in the garden. Because of the harsh Scottish winters many of the plants are dug up and placed in hot houses during the winter months. The garden also includes a number of life-size sculptures depicting various parables including the Good Shepherd and the Prodigal Son. I did recognise many of the plants and herbs and some were labelled, many I had never seen or heard of before. Both the Cathedral and the Garden are well worth a visit.

I also made a visit to Johnstons Cashmere, a company that had been spinning and making quality cashmere garments since 1797. Sadly they do not have factory tours on a Sunday but the range and quality of their garments are first class.

The scenic route to Inverness was lovely and I drove past a lot of farming properties. I have seen several Highland Cattle on farms and they are huge animals.

Along the way I stopped at Nairn a popular holiday destination and it has wonderful views of the Moray Firth. I stopped at a small place called Ardersier which is also on the Moray Firth and was speaking to a lady who had moved to Canada from this town and was back to visit family. She pointed out a small gap on the other side of the Firth and explained that during WW2 British War Ships were often there for maintenance and refuelling. It has a narrow entrance and is a deep water harbour.

I am looking forward to a few days in Inverness and the weather has been sunny !!


The Biblical Garden


Ceiling in the Chapter House, Elgin Cathedral

No comments:

Post a Comment