Thursday 3 May 2012

Dundee

The drive to Dundee was a bit stressful to say the least – I had purchased a GPS and asked when I bought it if there were instructions with it and I was told all I had to do was charge it for 12 hours before I used it.
When I opened the box there were NO instructions at all so I did was I was told to do. I charged it for 12 hours.  Then after picking up the hire car the GPS could not get a signal (panic !!!).
Fortunately I had looked at a map and knew what highway number I needed to get onto – I did eventually get to Dundee.
I stopped at a restaurant/pub place and asked if they had WiFi and YES they did!
I explained to this wonderful waiter what my problem was and he knew it needed to be activated over the computer!!
Yes, it did have a USB connection but so does the cigarette lighter that you plug into the car – I thought you would only connect it to a computer to upgrade the maps .... (when I bought the one I use at home, all I had to do was charge it in and switch it on).
Thank goodness the day ended OK, I found my B&B and had a wonderful 3 days in Dundee and nearby areas.
Dundee is a very old city and does lack a bit of ‘soul’ mainly because it seems to be a bit of a construction zone and they have lost many of their beautiful old buildings – however there are still some lovely old buildings, in the city. I did enjoy visiting the McManus Art Gallery & Museum and I learnt about some of the early history of this city. I was especially interested in this as my Grandmother was born here in 1881.
I was delighted to make contact with M, an Australian lady who has lived back in Dundee (Broughty Ferry) for the past 4 years. She was pleased to have an “Aussie” to show around and she was great company.
We played tourist and went to some lovely places nearby – St Andrews, Crail, Anstruther & St Monans. All are picturesque seaside places and are just stunning.
The following day we went to Glamis Castle (home of the Queen Mother), this is a wonderful place to visit. The restaurant is located in the original kitchen. The tour of the castle was very informative and interesting. You had the opportunity to see the wonderful treasures, including tapestries, ceramics, furniture, paintings etc . You are taken into the Queen Mother’s private apartments and apparently she used to visit regularly. The Italian Garden is beautiful and had many tulips and other spring flowers in bloom.
Broughty Ferry, where M lives is 4 miles to the east of Dundee city. Known as "the jewel in Dundee's crown", it has a seafront esplanade. It was once regarded as the "richest square mile in Europe" because it was home to the wealthy jute barons who built Dundee's textile fortunes- its origins date back to the 15th century ‘fisher folk’ who built their homes around the harbour close to Broughty Ferry Castle.  Although the industries that Broughty Ferry was once associated are now gone, the town remains a lovely holiday destination and a pleasant waterfront suburb of Dundee.
On my last morning here I did spend some time in a Family History Centre and thanks to the wonderful staff there I did discover some information about my Grandmother’s family.
A big thank you to M for giving up some work-time to show me around and share some meals – you were wonderful company. Enjoy your next trip.
Next stop Aberdeen.

The Fisherman's Church at St Monans



Anstruther


No comments:

Post a Comment