Wednesday 18 April 2012

The journey to Dubai

After a few very hectic days packing, finalising things at work, & saying goodbye to loved-ones I did make it to the airport for my 2.40am flight to Dubai via KL!
It was a long and tiring flight and I rarely sleep on planes, needless to say I am looking forward to a big sleep. But we did get fed well (and the food was good).
One thing I always enjoy about flying overseas is you meet a lot of interesting & diverse people and this flight was no exception. I met up with two young people who were going away for the first time ever.  Both were rather nervous and apprehensive, one young man had finished a film production course in Melbourne at VCA and he was on his way to New York film festival to show his first film!  I should have got his name – he may be at the Oscars one day!
I also met a family from South Africa who had been holidaying in Victoria & SA. They had really enjoyed their time in Australia and they said to me “you are so very lucky living in such a wonderful country”. We sometimes forget what a great country Australia is!
Dubai is shrouded in dust today as there was a huge dust storm in the desert. It looks like a fog hanging over the whole city with city buildings barely visible - in fact you would think you were in China!
It has been 4 ½ years since I was last here and have already noticed many changes in this remarkable city. The train line that was built last time is up and running and apparently getting huge numbers of passengers. There are much fewer cranes; there are not as many new buildings on the horizon now due to the GFC.

After booking into my hotel I went for a walk and discovered I was in the ‘Indian Section’ of the city. I decided to go into a small supermarket and buy some fruit & yogurt and bottle of water – this all came to the huge sum of A$2.50 !! The supermarket staff were extremely polite and helpful and only one person spoke English.
When I was here last it was about 45 degrees, today the temperature is about 31 much more pleasant despite the haze. I had many mixed emotions driving to the hotel as last time I was here I was with my mother who was 84 at the time. Mum just loved Dubai as she found it so different to anywhere else she had been. I know over the next few days I will re-live much of what a wonderful time I had here with her.

Dubai when I arrived !

No comments:

Post a Comment